Enter the beautiful Ravana Waterfall, in Ella Sri Lanka, a stunning waterfall with fascinating stories. The water flows gracefully, carrying ancient legends about Ravana, a Sri Lankan king from the past. Enjoy the beauty of this waterfall, where nature and old stories come together.
25 m (82 ft)
In your next tour to Ella in Sri Lanka, don’t forget to visit Rawana waterfall in Badulla District. Ella is known as best place to visit due to its natural beauty. When people visit Ella, you will get a chance to see some beautiful waterfalls. Among them, Ravana waterfall holds a special place and is very popular among visitors.
Legend has it that Ravana Falls derived its name from a captivating story deeply rooted in ancient tradition. According to the legend, Sitha Devi, the beloved queen of King Rama from the Indian epic Ramayana, was forcefully taken by Ravana, the powerful king of Sri Lanka, and kept within the hidden caves located behind this majestic waterfall. Over time, these caves became known as Ravana Falls Cave, increasing the mystery surrounding the falls.
This Ravana waterfall is about 25 meters (82 feet) tall and flows from an oval-shaped curved stone. When heading to Ella through Welimada Rd, visitors may enjoy the beauty of the waterfall. The Ravana waterfall is close to the major road, which is built via the bridge. Anyone going down this road can enjoy this amazing scenery.
Where is Ravana Waterfall located in Sri Lanka?
Ravana waterfall is a natural wonder in Sri Lanka’s Badulla district, near the town of Ella. It is around 5 km from Ella, making it easily accessible to travelers. The Ravana Falls has three distinct levels. , which rises at an incredible height of around 25 m (82 ft), gives a breathtaking view as the water gracefully flows down. During the rainy season, the waterfall can become incredibly powerful and is believed to resemble an areca flower with fading petals, but its magnitude is drastically decreased during the dry season. A Kiridioya stream runs from the mountain peak where the famous Ravana Caves are located, creating this beautiful waterfall. The waterfall, which stands at a height of 1,050 meters, offers absolutely amazing views of the surrounding landscapes and lush greenery.
How to get to Ravana Falls?
There are various ways to get to Ella, including public transportation and personal vehicles. For further information, see our Ella Full Guide.
- By Bus – take a bus from Colombo to Badulla and drop off at Ella
- By Train – take a train ride from Colombo to Badulla and drop off at Ella Station
- By Car/ Bike / Tuk Tuk – through Colombo > Ratnapura > Haputale > Ella Google Map Route
- By Car – Using Southern Expressway can reach to Ella less than 4 Hours Google Map Route
From Galle or Matara
- By Bus – take a bus ride from Galle to Wellawaya, then Wellawaya to Ella
- By Train – take a train from Galle to Colombo, then Colombo to Ella
- By Car – Travel through Southern Express Highway, exit from Mattala, then Wellawaya to Ella Google Map Route
- By Tuk Tuk / By Bike – Travel through Matara > Tangalle > Hambantota > Mattala > Wellawaya to Ella Google Map Route
Route Map from Ella to Ravana Waterfall
Hire a Tuk Tuk
You can hire a Tuk Tuk from Ella town, they will drop you at the Ravana Falls.
Things To Do in Ravana Falls
Can I hike at Ravana Falls?
If you want to enjoy the breathtaking view of Ravana Waterfall in closer view, safely climb the rocky waterfall with care since it has slippery stones covered in algae. However, climbing to the top of Ravana is now prohibited since it is unsafe due to unexpected water level increases. If you are visiting a waterfall in the rainy season, you cannot enter the waterfall, since the water flow is very strong.
Can I swim at Ravana Waterfalls?
Swimming at this waterfall is not encouraged because of a number of tragic deaths. The greatest way to admire Ravana Falls’ incredible splendor is from vantage points easily accessible along the main roadways.
Can I camp at Ravana Falls?
Unfortunately, there are no proper camping locations at Waterfall, making camping here impossible. As a result, setting up a camp at this waterfall is not feasible.
What are the nearby locations of Ravana Waterfall?
The best 11 places to visit nearby Rawana Waterfall
All other nearby places
- Visari Water Falls – 9 km
- Gotuwala Ella – 10 km
- Natural Pool Makulella – 13 km
- Kombukara Nature Pool and Secret Waterfall for Open Bath – 17 km
- Porawagala Viewpoint – 18 km
- Kinigama falls – 20 km
- Ellatota Ella Waterfall – 20 km
- Iron Bridge Obodaella – 20 km
- Tonocombe Viewpoint – 25 km
- Prabhawa Mountain Day Viewpoint – 28 km
- Habaraththaawa waterfall – 29 km
- Main Viewpoint Haputhale – හපුතලේ ප්රධාන නැරඹුම් ස්ථානය – 30 km
- Lipton’s Seat – 31 km
- Dunhinda Waterfall – 34 km
- Diyaluma Falls – 34 km
- Pilkington Point – 35 km
- Wewassa Ella Falls – 35 km
- Millennium Viewpoint – 35 km
- Wewassa Top Division- View point – 39 km
- Diyanagala Viewpoint – 42
King Ravana kidnapped Princess Sita and held her captive in a cave, and the Ravana Falls nearby was where she used to bathe.
Ravana imprisoned Sita after stealing her.
The Ravana Cave or Ravana Ella Cave
This cave is located in the dense forests of Ragla, Sri Lanka.
|Hiking, Adventure, Nature walk
|Best days to visit
|December to May
|18°C to 28°C